[j-nsp] MX80 vs MX10 software testing

Serge Vautour sergevautour at yahoo.ca
Fri Apr 5 12:40:51 EDT 2013

Hello,

Before we deploy a new Junos version to production we run it through a series of test cases to prove all the functionality we use. We will also re-test on each piece of hardware (ie MX80 vs MX960).

Any comments on the Hardware differences between an MX80 and MX10? Juniper initial had MX80-10 which were the exact same Hardware as MX80. There was a gentleman's agreement license as to which ports you could use. Technically, the box was an MX80.

Now Juniper has MX5, MX10 and MX40. These are slightly different than MX80 as they won't work before 11.x while MX80 started on 10.2 code. We're being told the difference is minor (new eprom chip and timing kit).

We're struggling with the level of testing we should do between MX80 and MX10. Should we repeat all test cases on both? Some test cases? Which ones? Should we not bother at all (ie anything that works on MX10 will also work in MX80)?

Juniper is tell us the differences are minor and we shouldn't have to repeat testing on both platforms.

Comments? Thanks,

Serge