[j-nsp] Speed

Benny Amorsen benny+usenet at amorsen.dk
Tue Apr 9 18:01:53 EDT 2013

Saku Ytti <saku at ytti.fi> writes:

> Obviously microbursts can (in both TCP or UDP) scenario happen without any
> background traffic. Consider you're connected to 1GE port, testing another
> host in 100M port, if you limit your rate to 100M, you still causes the
> 100M port to congest, as incoming rate is always 1GE for variable duration
> (depending on how you police the sending).

Yes, you can in theory cause microbursting of UDP if you want. I am just
not sure which tool I would use to do that. Typical UDP tests like iperf
attempt to do perfect timing of packets so bursts are avoided, and they
seem to do a fairly good job of it.

In contrast, iperf TCP can get awfully bursty.

/Benny