[j-nsp] Speed

Saku Ytti saku at ytti.fi
Wed Apr 10 02:24:03 EDT 2013

On (2013-04-10 00:01 +0200), Benny Amorsen wrote:

> Yes, you can in theory cause microbursting of UDP if you want. I am just
> not sure which tool I would use to do that. Typical UDP tests like iperf
> attempt to do perfect timing of packets so bursts are avoided, and they
> seem to do a fairly good job of it.

Fair point. This is iperf:

    if ( isUDP( mSettings ) ) {
        delay_target = (int) ( mSettings->mBufLen * ((kSecs_to_usecs * kBytes_to_Bits)
                                                     / mSettings->mUDPRate) );

I still think UDP is the correct way to test network, making UDP burst (or not
burst) is easy, forcing TCP to behave as you desire is harder.

Quickly looking 'nuttcp 7.2.1' seems to support bursting,
http://lcp.nrl.navy.mil/nuttcp/beta/nuttcp-7.2.1.c

--
  ++ytti