[j-nsp] Best route reflector platform

Richard A Steenbergen ras at e-gerbil.net
Wed Apr 24 08:24:18 EDT 2013

On Sun, Apr 21, 2013 at 02:47:58PM +0400, Pavel Lunin wrote:
> 2. Branch SRX do not support more than 2G of RAM. Moreover about 700M+ is
> preallocated for flow session table and it is not released even when you
> switch the box into packed mode (well, at least used to be last time I
> checked a year or so ago). Plus JUNOS itself. In practice you have just
> about ~700M of free control plane memory on SRX650.

A decent amount of memory is required for RR purposes too. We're pretty
much to the point that if its not running 64-bit JUNOS (which actualley
only bumps the max rpd memory from 2GB to 3GB, so it's not "that" big an
improvement :P) it either won't work at all, or won't survive for very
long. And that's after taking a lot of steps to reduce core IBGP mesh
route load. I haven't touched any of the "virtual SRX" stuff, does it
run 64-bit JUNOS?

In fairness I really don't think there is a "big" market for dedicated
RR's, so I'm sure it isn't on the top of anyone's radar. That said, it
is an absurdly easy problem to solve, with almost no work required (ship
JUNOS on 1U PC and call it JCS100). So besides greatly pissing off many
of its largest customers, they're leaving money on the floor and forcing
people into other solutions with other vendors. I really can't imagine
that the benefit of selling an extra MX240 chassis, even if sold at
regular price, is worth the money being lost from everyone else.