[j-nsp] Best route reflector platform

Pavel Lunin plunin at senetsy.ru
Sun Apr 21 06:47:58 EDT 2013

2013/4/21 JP Velders <jpv at veldersjes.net>

> There's also SRX-BGP-ADV-LTU for "Advanced BGP License for SRX
> 650 only" (Route Reflector), though I wonder how far it'll scale...

In SP terms — almost not at all.

1. Branch SRX control plane runs on a single core of the Cavium Octeon,
which is not fast (700 Mhz for SRX650).

2. Branch SRX do not support more than 2G of RAM. Moreover about 700M+ is
preallocated for flow session table and it is not released even when you
switch the box into packed mode (well, at least used to be last time I
checked a year or so ago). Plus JUNOS itself. In practice you have just
about ~700M of free control plane memory on SRX650.

3. Check out the 3 years old "The hunt for a better route reflector"
threadon this
list in the archives.