[j-nsp] SNMP on logical-system fxp0

Pavel Lunin plunin at senetsy.ru
Thu Apr 25 04:19:25 EDT 2013

2013/4/25 Brandon Ross <bross at pobox.com>

Many operators have backbone routers with 10's of 10GbE ports and maybe
> even a few 40 or 100GbE ports at this point, perhaps a variety of SONET
> still, etc.
>
> Are you suggesting that they should purchase a 10/100/1000 copper card
> just for management?  Or are you suggesting that they should buy 10GbE
> switches for their out of band management network?

No, I propose to not even bother with copper, if you prefer. Just use a
VLAN or any other type of virtual circuit inside those TerabitEthernet /
SONET / FrameRelay / whatever.

And do you propose to use dedicated fibers just for management? Or,
otherwise, how would you pass traffic to/from the copper switch, into which
you plug the fxp0 of a remote router? I bet in >99% of cases, connectivity
from NOC to the "OOB" switch shares fate with the connectivity to the
router, whose fxp0 is plugged into this switch. Not even mentioning that
this OOB switch is an additional point of failure with little chances to be
backed up.

So there is nothing in the fxp0's "OOBness", what is worth its clumsiness.