[j-nsp] SNMP on logical-system fxp0

Saku Ytti saku at ytti.fi
Fri Apr 26 03:34:10 EDT 2013

Brandon Ross wrote:

> Both.
> Either defend that statement or admit that it was overly broad.

Everyone seems to agree RS232 is granted. But some people feel you also
need to build FXP.

The added benefit of also building FXP is that you can copy images and that
the session isn't terribly slow (9600bps sucks)

If you can do this for free, then yes, it's overly broad to say that FXP is
useless. But for me it carries non-zero cost, so I'm not going to build two
emergence accesses to the device.
With CMP/vPro/drac we'd get superior solution, only reason it does not
exist in every router already, is because we, the community, think on-band
ethernet is the bee's knees for OOB and are not asking for solution in RFQ
(so please add in your next RFQ this)

For me delivering both FXP and RS232 to pop is non-trivial cost, each RU is
MRC in telco colopops. And we can't use ghetto switches, as power must be
DC, so CAPEX is non-trivial as well.
Multiply that MRC and CAPEX by few hundreds and you start asking, when did
I need to upload new image to crashing and burning router?

--
  ++ytti