[j-nsp] SNMP on logical-system fxp0

Phil Shafer phil at juniper.net
Thu Apr 25 16:51:24 EDT 2013

Saku Ytti writes:
>I'm not saying don't build OOB, I'm saying, I don't want to build three
>networks to access the router. On-band is given. So will the second network
>be rs232 or fxp?
>Both of them are bad options, but RS232 is less bad, as you can reboot the
>box even if JunOS is wonky.

>From what I've seen, the more typical setup is a terminal server
serving console ports attached to the same network as the device
management ports.  So the terminal server gives console (and dial
up) access as when Mayhem strikes, but mgmt network access for
lesser/more common issues, as well as normal management.  And when
Mayhem strikes, you can use console access to get the mgmt port up
to avoid 9600 baud terminal performance, especially for data
transfers.  So the second network is rs232 _and_ fxp.

Thanks,
 Phil