[j-nsp] Fwd: bgp license mx480 MPC-3D-16XGE-SFPP

Mark Tinka mark.tinka at seacom.mu
Tue Apr 30 17:32:55 EDT 2013

On Friday, April 26, 2013 06:21:54 PM John pp wrote:

> i have been told its an honor system however
> someone i know bought the license and it was just a piece
> of paper saying they could use it

The rumour is that at some point in the future, Juniper will
add capability in newer release of code that physically
enforces these licenses in software/hardware.

So while it could be just a paper/honour license today, it
might not be tomorrow, in which case you either don't
upgrade Junos or you buy the license.

I generally don't like licenses (especially now when both
Cisco and Juniper are going stir-crazy with them in recent
years), but I really don't like the ones that don't make any
sense to me. With all my rumbling with the vendors, licenses
appear to be a "point of view" perpetuated by vendors that
are inspired by customers with "varying needs" and so few
boxes to meet them.

Oh well...

Mark.