[j-nsp] Mixed Cisco/Juniper MPLS network

Saku Ytti saku at ytti.fi
Wed Aug 14 12:33:42 EDT 2013

On (2013-08-14 12:22 -0400), Eric Van Tol wrote:

> I've not been able to reproduce it in the lab, but traffic to destinations that are on non-MPLS devices have "problems".  Customers report slow bandwidth and/or page timeouts.  I thought perhaps an MTU issue, but physical interface MTUs network-wide are >9000 with MPLS MTUs set to 1546.  As soon as I added the non-MPLS devices to the prefix-list to prevent label allocation, the problems stopped.

I'd only use separate blocks if I specifically have next-hops which MUST
NOT be label switched (I don't have, but some prefer INET not to be label
switched, so they run INET to different loopback than VPNv4)
In your case, it seems it would make more sense to figure out what the
actual problem is and then go back to flat/static ACL for all core loops.

Maybe add one less used non-MPLS box as allowed and reserve some additional
resourced to help troubleshooting when problem is in effect.
--
  ++ytti