[j-nsp] Mixed Cisco/Juniper MPLS network

Mark Tinka mark.tinka at seacom.mu
Thu Aug 15 11:27:20 EDT 2013

On Wednesday, August 14, 2013 06:33:42 PM Saku Ytti wrote:

> I'd only use separate blocks if I specifically have
> next-hops which MUST NOT be label switched (I don't
> have, but some prefer INET not to be label switched, so
> they run INET to different loopback than VPNv4) In your
> case, it seems it would make more sense to figure out
> what the actual problem is and then go back to
> flat/static ACL for all core loops.

To make my life simpler, I've generally created a prefix
list which I've attached to the LDP session, that covers all
my IPv4 allocations.

While it makes more sense to stick to prefixes that cover
only Loopbacks and/or any interface addresses for which you
want LDP LSP's created, this can get tricky quite quickly
depending on how/where your network grows.

If it's any consolation, IOS only allocates LDP labels to
IGP prefixes by default. Since (I hope) you don't carry your
customer routes inside your IGP, you will generally only
assign labels to infrastructure routes, i.e., backbone and
Loopback interfaces.

Fair point, one could argue that "in-house" static routes
pointing toward customer links will also end up with labels
as IOS considers static routing an IGP when it comes to
label allocation, but you generally don't run MPLS across
customer point-to-point links anyway. How much this noise is
an issue to you vs. lower administrative overhead when
deploying boxes depends on your unique operational
circumstances.

The problem comes when you've run out of space and you need
to address new devices out of a block that wasn't in your
filter to begin with, e.g., a new allocation from your RIR.
This is where having a standard router/switch configuration
helps a lot, because you can easily update the prefix lists
via a bulk configuration upload with applications such as
RANCID and friends, instead of going to every device hand-
at-a-time.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,

Mark.