[j-nsp] IPv6 VRRP packets dropped?

Sebastian Wiesinger juniper-nsp at ml.karotte.org
Wed Aug 28 10:05:03 EDT 2013

Hello,

I have two MX routers with a VPLS instance. The instance has an irb
interface on both routers with IPv6 VRRP configured on it.

On the backup router I see the VRRP mastership flap every few seconds.
When I look at VRRP statistics I see that it receives much less
packets than the other router sends.

Primary VRRP Router:

  Group VRRP PDU statistics
    Advertisement sent                       :11105
    Advertisement received                   :1394

Backup VRRP Router:

  Group VRRP PDU statistics
    Advertisement sent                       :2067
    Advertisement received                   :4185

The interval is set to 1 second. When I monitor traffic on the irb I
can see that packets are missing. The primary router sends it but the
irb on the backup router does not receive it.

I don't have any policers that would discard "some" of the packets. I
also disabled uRPF and the lo filters to be sure but still the VRRP
flaps.

Has anyone seen anything like that or has any idea where to look
further?

This is on MX960 routers with JunOS 11.4 and Trio MPCs.

Regards

Sebastian

--
GPG Key: 0x93A0B9CE (F4F6 B1A3 866B 26E9 450A  9D82 58A2 D94A 93A0 B9CE)
            -- Terry Pratchett, The Fifth Elephant