[j-nsp] MPLS PEs out in the last-mile

Per Granath per.granath at gcc.com.cy
Fri Aug 30 08:34:11 EDT 2013

http://www.juniper.net/us/en/local/pdf/whitepapers/2000452-en.pdf

BGP LU
LDP DoD

-----Original Message-----
From: juniper-nsp [mailto:juniper-nsp-bounces at puck.nether.net] On Behalf Of Will Orton
Sent: Thursday, August 29, 2013 9:28 PM
To: juniper-nsp at puck.nether.net
Subject: [j-nsp] MPLS PEs out in the last-mile

I have found recently that we are pushing MPLE PE's closer and closer out towards some customers, which means sometimes across flaky RF and DSL last-mile type connections. Usually this is with small SRX's, to provide a managed-endpoint for L2VPN over nasty last-mile topology.

Is there some way to have a PE hanging out in the breeze without setting it up directly in my IGP? I don't really want last-mile IGP churn from hundreds of "micro-PEs" in my network.

Does it work to build the MPLS LSPs to endpoints learned over BGP instead of an IGP, since I need BGP to the local POP's RRs for L2VPN NLRI anyway?

I'm waiting on some junosphere credits to test this out but thought I'd ask what others are doing.

-Will