[j-nsp] high 10GE port density in EX switch?

JP Velders jpv at veldersjes.net
Sat Feb 2 18:40:04 EST 2013

> Date: Sat, 2 Feb 2013 14:51:02 -0800
> From: Brent Jones <brent at brentrjones.com>
> Subject: Re: [j-nsp] high 10GE port density in EX switch?

> There is always the EX4550, 32 10Gb ports in 1U, with a module to add
> 8 more I believe

Two module slots in fact. With 10GE and VC modules released. The 40GE
module should debute somewhere this year (so they keep telling me).

If you're going the _physical_ VC route with VCP ports it would give
you 2.5:1 oversubscription (32 x 10Gbps vs 4 x 32Gbps). Going VCPe you
can do a bit better with 2:1 oversubscription. If doing that look into
the traffic patterns to figure out how far you can stretch the Virtual
Chassis (max 10 members) before creating contention.

I haven't seen official specs for the EX9200 yet, but supposedly that
should fill the gap between EX8200 and MX I'm told. Apart from Qfabric
itself, the QFX3600 with MC-LAG might also be a nice consolidation
layer with its 16 QSFP+ ports between an MX and a bunch of VC'd
EX4550's. Don't know if the routing on there (with VRRP and filtering)
is beefy enough for the needs.

In the end it boils down to not just the port-count, but the traffic
and usage patterns. Unfortunately those aren't always that clear up
front (or even in hindsight ;D).

Kind regards,
JP Velders