[j-nsp] MX80 BGP performance after reboot

Jeff Wheeler jsw at inconcepts.biz
Mon Feb 11 18:59:24 EST 2013

On Mon, Feb 11, 2013 at 6:15 PM, Sebastian Wiesinger
<juniper-nsp at ml.karotte.org> wrote:
> I noticed that a MX80 takes quite a long time after reboot to put all
> routes into the KRT. Is that normal for that box? It takes around 10
> minutes after BGP is established to get all the routes into the KRT

Yes, the routes taking a long time to install is "normal,"
unfortunately.  I feel like it has got worse since 10.4 but that might
be my imagination.

I am sorry I missed Richard Steenbergen's lightning talk at NANOG,
which was something like "if you want your routers to install routes,
call Juniper and reference PR#<whatever> because they do not want to
fix this bug."

I am hopeful that the move away from a single Junos release strategy
to some segregation among different products will allow Juniper to be
more flexible in how they allocate development resources to different
platforms.

If I had to guess, I'd say the ddos-related log messages you are
reading are related to excessive need to generate ttl_exceeded packets
because of routing loops while BGP is announcing to neighboring
routers but the routes are not actually installed in the FIB yet.
Even if I am wrong about the specifics here, I am certain it is only a
symptom of the problem which is unrelated to the ddos-protection
feature.

--
Jeff S Wheeler <jsw at inconcepts.biz>
Sr Network Operator  /  Innovative Network Concepts