[j-nsp] [SRX650] show pfe statistics weirdness

Dale Shaw dale.shaw+j-nsp at gmail.com
Thu Jan 10 20:11:41 EST 2013

Hi Graham,

On Wed, Nov 14, 2012 at 11:16 PM, Graham Brown
<juniper-nsp at grahambrown.info> wrote:

> This is where the SRX platform differs from that of the M/T/MX etc. BFD
> processing is NOT offloaded to the PFEs - this is all done by the RE. This
> has caused one of my customers many problems and unfortunately is by design
> - this relates to the SRX 3600.

Hmmm, this sounds .. a bit crap. Did you find any docs on this? I'm
having trouble finding useful references.

I have a network of J and SRX boxes -- everything from J2320 up to
SRX5800 -- and I'd like to run BFD for OSPF (on IPsec tunnels). Our
data centre routers (the srx5ks) have about 100 tunnels each, so I'd
need 100 BFD sessions.

How many BFD sessions was your customer running, and was it actually
causing a problem? (high RE/control plane processor utilisation, I
guess?)  Did you end up using BFD anyway, or tuning the IGP, or .. ?

cheers,
Dale