[j-nsp] QoS - to share a network control queue or not?

Saku Ytti saku at ytti.fi
Sat Jan 12 10:51:07 EST 2013

On (2013-01-11 17:16 -0500), Chris Morrow wrote:

> that seems bad... now their bgp overrides your bgp (maybe) choking out
> the management and control of your network elements, leading to an
> outage of not just that one customer but all customers (or more than 1
> at the least).

Not that I'm for (or against) the proposed solution, but I don't think your
concern has merit.
Implication is, that customer NC class will congest core-link dropping
iBGP. This seems highly unlikely. You would not allow the packets
from customer to hit control-plane, if you did allow it, no amount of QoS
will help you, because control-plane is dead long before your link is
congested.

Personally I don't really see need for more than 4 classes to customer
1. priority
2. normal (unmarked)
3. low-priority (off-site backup, etc)
4. NC (so even if customer UDP floods priority traffic CE-PE BGP won't
driop)

If you are dropping too much in any class, solution is not to add classes,
but to add capacity.

--
  ++ytti