[j-nsp] QoS - to share a network control queue or not?

Chris Kawchuk juniperdude at gmail.com
Sat Jan 12 18:52:06 EST 2013

We use '6' for "customer network control". Customers giving us a 6 or a 7, we place into this queue.

i.e. We never allow and end-user to place any of his/her traffic into queue 7 (which is 'our' NC queue - and has higher priority than '6' in our implementation)

We police/mark/identify on ingress; and use a second 802.1q p-bit or MPLS EXP bits to ensure we don't manipulate the customer's packet (thus the '6' markings are transparent to the end user).

Clean. Simple. Consistent.