[j-nsp] EX switches and bpdu-block-on-edge

Pierre-Yves Maunier j-nsp at maunier.org
Mon Jan 14 06:04:26 EST 2013

Hi,

I have a quick question about the bpdu-block-on-edge feature on EX switches.

I think I have the good configuration for what I want to achieve but I'd
like some feedback before I put that info production.

I have top of rack EX switches : all ports except the uplink one should not
receive bpdus and should be blocked if they received some.

I've made the following sample configuration, which given my lab tests,
works great :

ge-0/0/24 is the uplink

My question is : I have a more-specific config on ge-0/0/24 that over-ride
the edge statement in "interface all". But as it's not a interface all
"mode" edge but directly interface all edge, I'd like to be sure the 'edge'
statement will never be applied to ge-0/0/24 resulting in a really bad
behaviour in a production environment (shutdown the switch uplink).

protocols {
    mstp {
        bridge-priority 60k;
        interface ge-0/0/24.0 {