[j-nsp] EX switches and bpdu-block-on-edge

Chuck Anderson cra at WPI.EDU
Mon Jan 14 12:49:22 EST 2013

On Mon, Jan 14, 2013 at 12:04:26PM +0100, Pierre-Yves Maunier wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have a quick question about the bpdu-block-on-edge feature on EX switches.
>
> I think I have the good configuration for what I want to achieve but I'd
> like some feedback before I put that info production.
>
> I have top of rack EX switches : all ports except the uplink one should not
> receive bpdus and should be blocked if they received some.
>
> I've made the following sample configuration, which given my lab tests,
> works great :
>
> ge-0/0/24 is the uplink
>
> My question is : I have a more-specific config on ge-0/0/24 that over-ride
> the edge statement in "interface all". But as it's not a interface all
> "mode" edge but directly interface all edge, I'd like to be sure the 'edge'
> statement will never be applied to ge-0/0/24 resulting in a really bad
> behaviour in a production environment (shutdown the switch uplink).
>
> protocols {
>     mstp {
>         bridge-priority 60k;
>         interface ge-0/0/24.0 {
>             mode point-to-point;
>         }
>         interface all {
>             edge;
>         }
>         bpdu-block-on-edge;
>     }
> }
> ethernet-switching-options {
>     bpdu-block {
>         disable-timeout 300;
>     }
> }

That's correct.  I would generally do bpdu-timeout-action for uplinks
and leave the point-to-point mode to autodetection:

       interface ge-0/0/24.0 {
           bpdu-timeout-action {
               block;
	   }
       }

And on the other end of the uplink (i.e. the downstream, or "downlink"
port):

       interface ge-x/y/z.0 {
           no-root-port;
       }