[j-nsp] Redundancy with MX

Markus H hauschild.markus at gmail.com
Mon Jan 21 15:40:05 EST 2013

Hi,

I wonder what kind of redundancy the community would prefer for
small-medium sized PoPs.
This is what I have come up with so far:

a) 2xMX80
Pro: Two seperate devices so less prone to config errors and chassis failure
Con: Using redundant uplinks is more complicated (LB would need to be
done via routing protocol)

b) 1xMX240/480 with redundant SCB and RE
Pro: Easier to use redundant uplinks (LACP)
Con: Config error as well as chassis failure brings the whole PoP down

Any further arguments? Best practices? What did you deploy?

Best regards,
Markus