[j-nsp] Smallest size IPv6 allocation typically advertised?

Jeff Wheeler jsw at inconcepts.biz
Wed Jan 23 08:24:18 EST 2013

On Wed, Jan 23, 2013 at 5:50 AM, Saku Ytti <saku at ytti.fi> wrote:
> block in RIPE area, so deaggregation is must. I think in ARIN area this is
> different and two DCs would mean you could get two blocks.

ARIN rules effectively allow you to manage a /32 (or more) per POP,
with every POP getting the same sized block, rounded up to
nibble-boundary based on your plans.  You then take your number of
POPs and round that up to nibble-boundary.

This means many networks can effectively go to ARIN and get a /28 or
/24 today with no problem; some networks even bigger.  It also means
for ISPs there is going to be much less need to announce any routes
smaller than /32.  For PI end-users, though, the waters remain murky.

--
Jeff S Wheeler <jsw at inconcepts.biz>
Sr Network Operator  /  Innovative Network Concepts