[j-nsp] Burst size for policing

Huan Pham drie.huanpham at gmail.com
Mon Jan 28 15:43:47 EST 2013

Hi Luca,

What I meant is that the input policing (applied on your LAN interface) is working per design, even if you see traffic rate on your LAN interface in the inbound direction higher than what you set.

The rate you see (via show interface extensive, or monitor interface) is the rate BEFORE policing. If you set up graph for it, the graph most likely shows the rate before policing as well.

Unfortunately, I dont know how to check the rate AFTER policing.

I am sure your policer is dropping traffic, and you can see the number of drops via "show firewall". You may be able to work out roughly the rate of dropping based on the change in this number.

In reality, if customer traffic is mainly TCP then the effect of your policer droping would most likely bring the inbound traffic (BEFORE pilicing) to the rate you set. But if their traffic is UDP, or of DoS nature, you will still see the incoming traffic rate higer than your policing rate.

Regards,

Huan