[j-nsp] Advice on a 100Gbps+ environment

Phil Bedard philxor at gmail.com
Tue Jul 2 07:31:31 EDT 2013

Do you have to use a L2 switch at the end of row?  We have largely gotten rid of L2 switches at peering facilities since 10GE density is high enough, there is less statmux gain these days, and ports are cheap enough on the MX.   Especially if the customer is pushing that much traffic via Nx10GE.

We use a combination of LAG+ECMP since we hit the old 16 member limit and it seems to work well at least on the MX.  We have 200+ Gbps in numerous locations with this setup.

The RIB capacity is large enough I don't think that many sessions/routes is an issue with overlapping prefixes, but there are alternatives.  Like someone else mentioned do loop back peering or LAG, most providers are willing to do one or both methods.
The MX works fine as a peering/transit router.

Phil