[j-nsp] EX3200 Power supplies

Julien Goodwin jgoodwin at studio442.com.au
Sat Jul 27 04:08:46 EDT 2013

On 26/07/13 01:52, Doug McIntyre wrote:
> On Thu, Jul 25, 2013 at 09:01:15AM -0400, Paulhamus, Jon wrote:
>> Power Supply in EX3200 Switches
>> The power supply in EX3200 switches is a hot-removable and hot-insertable field-replaceable unit (FRU) that you can install on the rear panel without powering off the switch or disrupting the switching function. The power supply in EX3200 switches is not redundant.
>>

>> Does that mean if I pull a power supply out, the switch stores enough power to stay running long enough to put the new one in and get powered up?
>

> What odd wording, since the EX3200 doesn't have two power supply slots.
> They probably took wording from the EX3300/EX4200 which do have two power
> supply slots, and which probably uses the same power supplies.
>
> The EX3200 does have an RPS power port, so most likely what they
> intend to mean are that with the optional RPS deployed, and your main
> supply fails, you can hot swap it at that point, while running on RPS power.
>
> And then deal with the oddities of running on RPS power.
>
> But no, it won't keep running if you pull the single power supply out.

The EX[34]200's do seem to have a lot more reserves when you pull power
than most kit. I actually wouldn't be surprised if you could manage to
do this, although doing it without crashing the cpu or forwarding chips
is a bit less likely.

If course if you want to do this the power supply has already failed
making this an academic concept only.