[j-nsp] SRX550 Mode Packet Based for BGP Full Routing

Pavel Lunin plunin at senetsy.ru
Fri Jun 21 09:55:02 EDT 2013

20.06.2013 21:37, Giuliano Medalha wrote:
> Has anyone used the SRX550 in packet based mode for border router with BGP ?
>
> Considering the datasheet it only supports 712k BGP routes.

This is not a hard limit. Just an officially supported value.

I have some customers who use SRX650 as an enterprise border with two
full tables and it works pretty OK for that needs. I think, SRX550 also
will.

Having this said, I see very little reason to use SRX for this. For an
enterprise network—you just don't need full tables. If it's an ISP,
than, I'm sure, MX5 will cost not that much more, while it's a true
router with dedicated forwarding hardware and all.

Despite SRX650/550 and even 240H2 have 2GB of RAM, all branch SRXes,
even being converted into packet-mode, reserve a hell of memory for
fwdd's session table, which is unusable for rpd and other processes.
Moreover FIB is also stored in this same RAM as forwarding is in
software. Given the exponential growth of the Internet BGP table, this
is not going scale in the long term.