[j-nsp] Link local address errors when committing VRRP for inet6

Tore Anderson tore at fud.no
Sat Jun 22 04:39:15 EDT 2013

* Morgan McLean

> Is anybody able to explain the purpose of the link local address?

It's fundamental to IPv6. Replaces ARP in IPv4, amongst other things.

> Tore, interesting....what device? Wonder why they changed the requirement.

This was on a MX, but I'm pretty sure the requirement was dropped from
EX too. I bet the reason they dropped it is that they realised it is
perfectly possible to automatically generate them, and no need for
manual config. The primary ones on the interface is simply the EUI-64
derived-ones that's always there anyway, while the virtual link-local
address is also derived from EUI-64 but using the VRRP VMAC as input.

Tore