[j-nsp] Junos 11.4R1.6 shipping on new EX-series switches, serious problems

Jeff Wheeler jsw at inconcepts.biz
Sun Jun 23 04:07:37 EDT 2013

Junos 11.4R1.6 is currently shipping on new EX-series switches.  In
this release, the CLI program isn't even stable.  I've had it crash on
me before I can even get as far as to commit a root password.

For the EX PMs who may be reading, please change the version that
ships on new-in-box units to one that isn't so buggy that it should
never have been released.

Is it your express goal to make sure customers buying new units
understand than many Junos releases are such garbage as to be
unusable?  To inform us that your Q/A is non-existent?

Is there an 11.4R that basically works?  Yes.

Is there one that JTAC recommends?  Yes.

Is the currently-shipping version covered by Juniper security
vulnerability notices indicated to be serious?  Also, yes.

Is that supposedly-serious vulnerability fixed in the JTAC-recommended
version, which functions better?  Again, yes.

Why is that not the version that ships on new kit from the
distributors?  Bad management.
--
Jeff S Wheeler <jsw at inconcepts.biz>
Sr Network Operator  /  Innovative Network Concepts