[j-nsp] EX VC mixed mode experience

Jeff Wheeler jsw at inconcepts.biz
Fri Mar 1 12:18:14 EST 2013

On Fri, Mar 1, 2013 at 10:50 AM, Riccardo S <dim0sal at hotmail.com> wrote:
> I'm wondering if anybody have info or experience in a scenario
>  with mixed virtual-chassis (6 equipments between 4500 and 4200) with high density
> (more or less 70) of 10GBs ports.
>
> Since these architecture should be placed in a
>  very sensitive position (servers and storage managing online systems of an important airport),
> I'd like to have some "informal" feedbacks if any problems or whatelse have been experienced by somebody...
>
> Why chose this design ? only costs...

Sounds like "carrier grade" to me.

My understanding is there is still no high-speed stacking module for
the EX4500 expansion slot.  Your virtual-chassis obviously won't
approach full wire-speed.  With that said, when you need a mixture of
1000baseT and SFP+ ports, it is a decent configuration.

ARP still sucks on the small-EX platforms but it has improved in 12.3,
which is a welcome change.  Still pretty bad though.  They have made
`clear arp` do what it's supposed to do, but I guess adding something
like `clear arp interface <foo> all` was too hard.  Go figure.

--
Jeff S Wheeler <jsw at inconcepts.biz>
Sr Network Operator  /  Innovative Network Concepts