[j-nsp] Lab gear to mimic MX80?

Saku Ytti saku at ytti.fi
Sat Mar 2 04:00:21 EST 2013

On (2013-03-01 15:12 -0800), Morgan McLean wrote:

> I'd like to pick up a few pieces of gear to simulate our MX80's in
> production. We wouldn't necessarily need the same amount of memory,
> throughput etc just feature set and general config.
>
> Would it be safe to say I could pickup the relatively cheap J2350 boxes and
> stick the same version of JunOS on them and have a pretty similar
> experience? Not like the MX80 has any processing cards or anything special
> like the higher end MX boxes can take.

I'm sorry but this won't fly. Either feature is platform independent where
SRX, J, Olive is fine. Or it is platform specific, in which case you'd need
Trio box (which ACX is not)

On top of my head you can pretty much forget QoS testing on other than Trio
box as well as you can't test 'ddos-protection', I'm sure there are many
examples where test results won't transfer.

Cheapest Trio box is MX5, you can get your lab gear discounted further than
your production gear.

--
  ++ytti