[j-nsp] thoughs on MVRP?

Luca Salvatore Luca at ninefold.com
Sat Mar 2 19:13:58 EST 2013

Hi,
We have a requirment to trunk about 3500 VLANs into multiple ports on some EX4200 switches in VC mode.

This breaches the vmember limit but a huge amout, and once we did this I have seen lots of errors in the logs such as:

fpc0 RT-HAL,rt_entry_create,2414: failed to allocate memory for route entry
/kernel: RT_PFE: RT msg op 3 (PREFIX CHANGE) failed, err 5 (Invalid)
fpc0 RT-HAL,rt_entry_add_msg_proc,2702: route entry create failed
fpc0 RT-HAL,rt_entry_add_msg_proc,2886: proto L2 bridge,len 48 prefix 06:d4:f2:00:00:cb/48 nh 2850
fpc0 RT-HAL,rt_entry_create,2414: failed to allocate memory for route entry

These messages worry me.  I have been looking into MVRP which seems like it will allow us to not need all 3500 VLANs trunked into the switches all the time, but will dynmicaly register VLANs as needed.

Wondering peoples thoughts on MVRP, is this a good use case?  Is it stable and reliable?

thanks,