[j-nsp] Juniper equivalent to Cisco 3800X

Mark Tinka mark.tinka at seacom.mu
Sun Mar 31 09:35:32 EDT 2013

On Wednesday, January 02, 2013 04:52:02 PM Eric Van Tol
wrote:

> Unfortunately, I do not.  There may be other differences
> between the two which is why they were pushing the
> ME3800X, such as buffer space or other QoS related
> differences.  Perhaps it was a positioning issue, but if
> that's the case, why not the ME3600X?  Given just the
> birds eye view of what you need, it sounds like the
> ME3600X, ME3800X, EX3200, and EX4200 would all work and
> it really depends on the more specific features and
> functions you would need, as well as your budget.

You can't really compare the ME3600X/3800X to the Juniper
EX3200/4200 switches.

The Cisco options are more routers than switches (even more
routers than switches when compared to other Cisco switches,
including the older generation ME switches and the newer
generation desktop switches from Cisco).

What this means is:

	- You'll get better IPv6 support.
	- You'll get better filtering support.
	- You'll get router-like QoS support.
	- You'll get EVC support.
	- You'll get full MPLS support (including TE).
	- You'll get MEF-type support for Ethernet.
	- You won't lose typical Layer 2 features.

The main difference between the ME3600X and ME3800X is
scale.

The ME3800X is positioned as an aggregation device, while
the ME600X as an access device. All this means is that the
number of ACL, IPv4, IPv6, Multicast, MAC address, bridge
domain, e.t.c., entries will be slightly higher on the
ME3800X than the ME3600X. Apart from that, all other
features are the same.

I feel the ME3800X would be useful as an aggregation device
if you're looking at high volume, low cost aggregation
solutions for situations like LTE (where the MX and ASR9000
are great, but just too big/costly). Otherwise, for the
majority of cases, the ME3600X is fine with me, since for
me, the platform is the ideal solution for MPLS in the
access, and getting rid of STP and all that nonesense once
and for all, when building large scale Metro-E access
networks.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,

Mark.