[j-nsp] Question about Routing Engine Redundancy on MX

Mark Tinka mark.tinka at seacom.mu
Sun Mar 31 09:54:12 EDT 2013

On Wednesday, January 09, 2013 11:23:44 PM Richard A
Steenbergen wrote:

> Plus, I don't think I've actually had NSR work correctly
> in about 4-5 years now. There are hard-coded time-outs
> during the NSR sync process after the backup RE reboots,
> and if your network is big enough that you carry some
> decent number of BGP paths it will take so long to sync
> that this will time out and fail the entire process. I
> once had a case open about this issue, but after about
> 1.5 years of being unable to explain it to the idiot in
> JTAC I just gave up. I checked several years later, and
> it was still broken in exactly the same way, so I'm
> going to guess that no other large network dares to run
> NSR either. :)

The concept is great, but I've never quite bought into it
after all these years, complaints on fora about it "not
working" notwithstanding.

Same with ISSU - in most cases, I'm probably going to run
upgrades in a maintenance window anyway, so ISSU really buys
me nothing but pain (not to mention how long it takes to
upgrade certain platforms, e..g, those based on IOS XR).

The only thing I've really deployed which has helped (even
on single control plane systems) is IETF Graceful Restart.
That's about as kinky as I'm willing to get.

Mark.