[j-nsp] How useful is Juniper storm control?

JP Velders jpv at veldersjes.net
Thu May 23 17:04:23 EDT 2013

> Date: Tue, 14 May 2013 14:29:35 +0000
> From: James S. Smith <JSmith at WindMobile.ca>
> Subject: [j-nsp] How useful is Juniper storm control?

> I'm looking for people's experience with storm control on Juniper
> switches.  We have a pair of EX4500 switches and I notice that storm
> control kicks in a lot.  I'm concerned that it might be stopping
> legitimate broadcast and multicast traffic.

Depends on what you consider legitimate, both quality and quantity
wise. MS Windows NLB (Network Load Balancing) floods stuff, so I have
~250Mbps minimum of flooded traffic on that VLAN... We disabled storm
control on the ports in that specific VLAN, and yes, we really will do
normal loadbalancing if I can get the Exchange admins to budge...

> Do most people have storm control enabled or disabled?

Enabled, it can prevent other bad stuff, like looped traffic, not per
se a loop on the specific switch. Plus, it's a switch, not a hub. :)

Kind regards,
JP Velders