[j-nsp] SRX 3600 dropped packets - how to debug?

Pavel Lunin plunin at senetsy.ru
Mon May 27 06:14:39 EDT 2013

24.05.2013 19:05, Alex Arseniev wrote:
> If You run any kind peer-to-peer apps (uTorrent, eMule, etc, also
> includes Skype) then You'll see that outside peers trying to establish
> LOADS of unsolicited connection to Your inside hosts.
> And all of them will be dropped unless You enable full cone NAT.

A bit off topic, but seems to be worth to note here as I've seen it
several times.

Often people don't have a route for source NAT pools (especially in case
of static routing). This leads to the following. When a disallowed
connection from outside comes, it matches a default route, than a policy
checkout occurs and, if untrust-to-untrust policy permits it (for some
reason; say, folks managing NAT for broadband access tend to not bother
with policies and just permit all everywhere), you have 1) a routing
loop 2) session table flooded with this trash. Even if there is no
permitting policy for untrust-to-untrust, this anyway leads to
additional performance consumption due to policy checkup. So the best is
to nail it down with a route like "nat-pool/xx -> deny" in order to drop
the unwanted incoming connections as early as possible.