[j-nsp] J-series, hoping packets between routing-instances

Mike Williams mike.williams at comodo.com
Thu Nov 7 09:37:27 EST 2013

Hi all,

I might have painted myself into a corner here, so I'm here looking for
options from people far cleverer than I.

Firstly, a bit of history.

We're using J6350s, and SRX650s, as "security devices on a stick".
Our Ms and MXs punt packets into a routing instance on the "security devices"
with firewall filters. Those routing instances purposely only use the most
basic of static routes possible (10/8, 192.168/16, etc), so we can be certain
what zones packets pass through so the policies match.

That all works fine.

We're also centralising our inter-site IPSec onto the Js and SRXs, but need
OSPF there, so have a second routing-instance and a partial mesh of routed
tunnels between them.
Still, all good.
Offices and what-not have tunnels tied directly to the IPSec routing-instances
and OSPF metrics keep traffic flows sane.
All hunky dory.

Now the problem.

I need to take traffic from servers behind an M/MX have it policy'd by the
"security" routing instance, then encrypted by the IPSec routing-instance.
If I punt traffic into "security", let it come back to the router, then punt
it back into "ipsec", everything works as expected.
However each packet has to pass across the M/MX<->J/SRX link 4 times, in out,
in out. Shake it all about.

Obviously this would be better if we could shortcut the M/MX step in the
middle and move packets from "security" to "ipsec", and "ipsec" to "security"
directly.

As "security" doesn't run OSPF/BGP/ISIS/etc adding a static route "next-table
ipsec.inet.0" is fine.
"ipsec" *does* run OSPF though, so I need to do FBF to override that. I've
tried a "then routing-instance security" filter applied on output on the
interface facing the M/MX, but my traffic get lost somewhere. Security
policies from 'input-ipsec-zone' to 'output-security-zone' were added.

I'm wondering if 'moving' packets from routing-instance to routing-instance on
a flow-mode device simply screws up security policies. As one of the input or
output interface don't exist in the routing-instance.
So I figured *routing* packets from routing-instance to routing-instance would
be better. Time for some logical tunnels! J-series devices don't support
logical tunnels though.

Argh!

--
Mike Williams