[j-nsp] EX cpu performance under multicast replication load?

Clarke Morledge chmorl at wm.edu
Wed Nov 13 11:33:57 EST 2013

I am seeing some bothersome CPU performance issues on EX switches, mostly
on the less powerful units like the 2200s, when it comes to handling
multicast.

In practical situations, I do not see much multicast traffic in general,
except on our campus we do get a lot of Apple Bonjour traffic related to
Multicast DNS.  Sometimes, a single host will go a little bonkers with
repeated MDNS packets.   In one case, I have seen where a flood of about
100 multicast packets per second, related to Bonjour, will cause the CPU
on the lower end EX switches to spike up dramatically, resulting in loss
of management of the switch during peak loads.   For example, the switch
will stop handling ICMP echo requests to its management IP, or it will
miss RADIUS packets.

Can someone walk me through the EX architecture a bit to tell me if this
is expected behavior?  I am assuming the EX CPU is actually handling the
multicast replication of Ethernet frames received to be sent out other
ports, but it seems like 100 packets per second should not be a big deal
to worry over.  So something looks awry.

Oddly enough, I do not see any performance issues when straight-up
broadcast traffic hits these kind of packet rates.

To mitigate against this, I guess I could use QoS to prioritize management
frames over user multicast data, but if the issue is about packet
replication and not forwarding, I am entirely convinced that the standard
marking and handling QoS parameters would be effective.

Any ideas?

Clarke Morledge
College of William and Mary
Jones Hall (Room 18)