[j-nsp] eBGP with internet provider from DataCenters

Dave Curado davec at curado.org
Fri Nov 15 09:29:08 EST 2013

Hi Yham,

On the Pro side, you would conserve one ASN by using the same ASN for
both data centers.
Also, if in the future the datacenters were to get some direct
connectivity with each other, it
would be relatively straight forward to join the network control planes
together.
I can't think of any other Pros, but perhaps there are some.

On the Con side, each data center would hear about the other's network
blocks via bgp
advertisements to/from your providers. By default, each data center's
peering routers would
not learn the routes from the other data center, as their own ASN would
appear in the AS path.
The result: each data center would not have routes for the other.

There is a way to override that, by configuring the BGP sessions with a
"allow one AS loop"
sort of syntax.  (I know JUNOS allows this for L3VPNs using BGP as the
CE-PE protocol, so
I suspect Cisco does too.)  Or, you could do something with static routes.
There are probably several other solutions to this problem.

While I'm all for conserving ASN resources, I think that having each
datacenter have its
own ASN is the cleaner way to do things.  But that's just IMHO.

HTHs,
Dave