[j-nsp] VC question

Bill Blackford bblackford at gmail.com
Wed Oct 9 12:25:42 EDT 2013

Capacity: Looking at the published numbers, a 4200 VC shows 128Gbps. 4300
shows 320Gbps (this may be the same with the latest Cisco 3800 series).

Functionality: I've had really good success with my GRES testing on a
Juniper VC. The Master and Backup nodes are handled as FPC's in the same
manner that Master and Backup RE's are handled with chassis routers. The
route process appears to be running on both. Forcing a route engine switch
dropped no packets (that I was able to notice). I have not done these tests
with Cisco, especially the latest 3700, 3800's. They may behave in a
similar manner, nor have I done extensive testing and comparison with
either vendor's implementation.

For me, just having both nodes of a two-switch VC act in a familiar manner
with that of chassis routers, makes managing them much more comforting.

On Wed, Oct 9, 2013 at 5:09 AM, Phil Bedard <philxor at gmail.com> wrote:

> The 4500 has a newer module with 64Gbps bi-directional links.  The 4550
> you can use two of the modules to get the 256 number.
>
> Phil
>
> > On Oct 9, 2013, at 3:29 AM, "Georgios Vlachos" <g.vlachos at kestrel-is.gr>
> wrote:
> >

> > Juniper VC is 32 Gbps per link (2), hence 64 Gbps full duplex actually.

Bill Blackford

Logged into reality and abusing my sudo privileges.....