[j-nsp] MX80 Route table Size

David Miller dmiller at tiggee.com
Mon Sep 23 16:42:56 EDT 2013

On 9/23/2013 4:51 AM, Saku Ytti wrote:
> On (2013-09-23 11:24 +1000), Luca Salvatore wrote:
>
> Hi Luca,
>
>> I can't seem to find how many IPv4/IPv6 routes the MX80 range can support.  I know it can do the full BGP table but the info does not seem to be anywhere on juniper.net.
>> I'm sure it used to be…. Perhaps I'm blind.  I can find it for EX switches but not MX gear.
>
> The HW has exactly same 256MB RLDRAM as rest of Juniper high-end gear,
> including T4k. I.e. FIB is identical in all MX and new trio generation T
> gear.
>
> You can see how that memory is spread and populated via 'start shell pfe
> network tfeb0' and 'show jnh 0 pool ...'
>
>> Does anyone have a like to official juniper doco that states the max route table for MX80?
>
> Any number would be only indicative/marketing. Much as same as if you'd ask
> how many routes can your laptop handle, it would depend what else will be
> using the memory.
> I'd say 1M is reasonable figure, maybe in some environments you could push
> it to 1.5M but you'll certainly not going to see 2M.
>
> I worry about this bit, as I already have boxes with >800k IPv4 prefixes.
>

>800k prefixes in the RIB or in the FIB?

I have been told repeatedly by Juniper that the "limits" of the MX-80 are:

MX80 FIB Capacity IPv4: 1Mil
MX80 FIB Capacity IPv6: 512k

MX80 RIB Capacity IPv4: 4Mil
MX80 RIB Capacity IPv6: 3Mil

These are soft limits - i.e. there is nothing within Junos that rejects
the 1,000,001th(st?) IPv4 route.  The boxes will work beyond these
limits (or recommendations), but there is much hand waving if you ask
how much beyond these limits.

The MX-80 can easily handle a full BGP table today.  The DFZ is
currently <470k.  Depending on your setup and/or your projections of DFZ
growth, the MX-80 will be able to handle a full BGP table for some time
to come.

If your setup and/or your projections of DFZ growth will have your FIB
hitting >1Mill routes within the estimated lifetime of the box, then a
bigger MX with RE-S-1800x4(s) is decidedly "bigger" (in performance,
route capacity, and price).

-DMM