[j-nsp] MX80 Route table Size

Saku Ytti saku at ytti.fi
Tue Sep 24 02:40:33 EDT 2013

On (2013-09-24 08:49 +0300), Krasimir Avramski wrote:

> Ichip(DPC) has 16-32M RLDRAM and holds 1M routes in FIB, so 256M on trio is
> huge increment - it is in realm of ~5M routes(since they use dynamic memory
> allocation to fill up with routes only) and more than 1M labeled prefix

I don't think this is apples to apples. The 16MB RLDRAM is just for jtree,
while 256MB in trio has lot more than just ktree, and some elements are
sprayed across the 4*64MB devices which make up the 256MB RDLRAM.

I'd be quite comfortable with 2M FIB throughout the lifecycle of current
generation, but I've never heard JNPR quote anything near this for trio scale.

I'm not sure I either understand why it matters if route is labeled or not, if
each route has unique label, then it means you're wasting NH space, but if you
are doing next-hop-self and advertising only loopback labels, then I don't
think labeled route should be more expensive.
(NH lives in RLDRAM in Trio as well, and I believe it specifically is sprayed
across all four RLDRAM devices).

--
  ++ytti