[j-nsp] SRX MPLSoGREoIPSec

Jeff McAdams jeffm at iglou.com
Tue Apr 15 14:56:29 EDT 2014

I've got a fair sized setup going with a bunch of these.  Shipping
SRX100's to partner organizations connecting back to SRX650s running the
IPSec and MX240s running the GRE tunnels and MPLS.  I'm using VPLS
primarily, but did some proof-of-concept setups with l2circuit/ccc.

Truthfully, I haven't done much throughput/performance testing as our
throughput needs are relatively modest overall...we just need
low-cost/low-failure-rate connectivity to data sources at our partner
organizations and the SRX100s with this setup fit the bill.

I don't have any M series, but the MX80 as of this point does not do
packet reassembly at all.  I believe an MS-MIC will let it do it in the
future, but as I understand it the software doesn't take advantage of the
processing to do that, yet.  That's why I stepped up to the MX240s with
MS-MPCs for the GRE handling.

On Tue, April 15, 2014 14:47, Kevin Wormington wrote:
> Hi,
>

> I am interested in hearing from any on the list that are doing MPLS over
> GRE over IPSec on the SRX platform with l2circuit/ccc.  I have done this
> in the lab with SRX100Hs and it works quite well even fragmenting to carry
> the simulated customer MTU of 1500.  The performance of these units is
> about 18mbps with large (1500) packets and 8-10mbps with small (80)
> packets.  I am curious what numbers others have seen with larger SRXs such
> as the 240, etc.?
>
> Also, does anyone know if GRE fragmentation/reassembly is done in
> hardware on the M series tunnel adapter or the MX80?
>
> Thanks,
>

> Kevin

Jeff