[j-nsp] SRX550 as MPLS/VPLS platform

Ben Dale bdale at comlinx.com.au
Wed Apr 16 18:37:56 EDT 2014

Hi Tom,

I'm going through a deployment using a mixture of MX5s and SRX240s PE routers right now, and I've been pretty happy with the results.  We're using RSVP-TE and BGP to set up L3VPNs, VPLSs and L2VPNs and it's working almost flawlessly.

So far, the only issues I've encountered with the SRX are:
- BFD at scale - we're seeing sessions flapping when we use BFD on OSPF, the RSVP LSP mesh and BGP.  I can't conclusively state it's a CPU issue (our timers aren't all that aggressive), but if you were going to scale to any great size, this would be something to watch.  As it is, this network only has 12 PEs, but I need to do some more lab work to confirm the reason for this.
- Class of Service - the SRX has very limited capabilities compared to the MX - if you're looking at providing hierarchical queuing to any of your MPLS services, you'll need to move up to MX.  You can use per-unit-schedulers on the SRX, but you don't have access to traffic-control-profiles.
- MTUs - if you're using the SFP-1GE PIM (the new generation), the max MTU that will commit seems to be 9000.  This isn't a problem in itself, but watch it if you're mixing MXs (Max MTU 9192) and OSPF.

Just remember to factor in the advanced BGP license for at least two of your SRX550s - you'll need this to support route reflection.

Cheers,

Ben