[j-nsp] Verifying Juniper ECMP

Masood Ahmad Shah masoodnt10 at gmail.com
Sat Apr 19 06:54:08 EDT 2014

See inline, prefixed [Masood] ...

On Thu, Apr 17, 2014 at 1:09 AM, John Neiberger <jneiberger at gmail.com>wrote:

> ​Another question: if a link in a ECMP "bundle" goes down and then comes
> back up later, do things end up hashed and balanced the same way they were
> prior to the link going down, or is there some amount of randomness to it?

[Masood] You may not see traffic balanced instantly, because existing flow
will NOT move to the newly added member. Only new flows will get hashed
across the members and then new member will have his fair share of good
luck :) However, the following things may happen and make load balancing
more fun:

1. incorrect load balancing by aggregate next hops
2. incorrect packet hash computation
3. insufficient variance in the packet flow
4. incorrect pattern selection

You may look for "Adaptive Load Balancing", a Juniper method to balance
traffic across LAG members (that focus more on the weights, the bandwidth
and packet stream of link) but that has it's on pros and cons.

> If I check a certain flow and see that it is hashed to a particular link,
> is it a fair bet that it was hashed to that same link prior to the link
> going down?

[Masood] AFAIK, #Junos does not keep track of it and I wonder if any other
vendor would do that.