[j-nsp] Viability of EX4300 in a primarily l3 environment?

Robin Vleij robin.vleij at klarna.com
Wed Aug 6 09:46:56 EDT 2014

Hi!

For simple L3 stuff (incl OSPF) we actually swapped 4300s for 4200s (mac
limit not a prob). We saw a lot of problem on 4300s in L2 and L3
deployments with an earlier release (l2_ald and sflowd processes taking
100% cpu, non-responsive processes that hang after commit, etc etc).
Those problems were all fixed in the latest release a little later, but
then it was too late to stop the "replace by 4200" train. 4200s feel rock
solid, so we're sticking with them for now even though the latest 4300
release seems good. Another advantage I think the 4300s have is the 10G
ports on the 10G module, where you get 4 instead of 2 10G ports, and of
course the much higher pps they can handle, even though we never came close
to the 4200 limit in that setup...

/Robin

On Wed, Aug 6, 2014 at 1:30 PM, Yucong Sun <sunyucong at gmail.com> wrote:

> I used ex4200 to do exactly what you did before.  ex4200 releases is pretty
> rock solid, feature extensive, although with lower arp entry limits.
>
> Given the price difference maybe you can connect each l2 domain to its own
> ex4200 and have them do ospf routing among selves, which maybe give you
> better failure tolerances compare to a single core.
>

> On Wed, Aug 6, 2014 at 6:35 PM, Giuliano Cardozo Medalha <
> giuliano at wztech.com.br> wrote:
>
> > we are using ex4300 with the last release available
> >
> > the setup is pretty simple using virtual chassis, lag, L3 and poe
> >
> > it works pretty fine and we do not have any serious problems
> >
> > sometimes the poe controller goes down but we have a case oppened in jtac
> > to try solve it
> >
> > Sent from my iPhone
> >
> > > On 06/08/2014, at 07:15, Sebastian Wiesinger <
> juniper-nsp at ml.karotte.org>
> > wrote:
> > >
> > > * Paul S. <contact at winterei.se> [2014-08-02 05:18]:

> > > I don't have hands-on experience but I looked at the EX4300 platform
> > > for a new deployment. If you look at the current release notes:
> > >

> http://www.juniper.net/techpubs/en_US/junos13.2/information-products/topic-collections/ex-qfx-series/release-notes/ex-qfx-series-junos-release-notes-13.2X51-D25.pdf
> > >
> > > There are a lot of (serious) bugs still getting fixed so I'm not sure
> > > how mature this platform is. One big reason for that is probably
> > > because EX4300 uses other chips than the rest of the 4xxx series
> > > (Broadcom).
> > >
> > > Regards
> > >
> > > Sebastian
> > >
> > > --
> > > GPG Key: 0x93A0B9CE (F4F6 B1A3 866B 26E9 450A  9D82 58A2 D94A 93A0
> B9CE)
> > > 'Are you Death?' ... IT'S THE SCYTHE, ISN'T IT? PEOPLE ALWAYS NOTICE
> THE
> > SCYTHE.
> > >            -- Terry Pratchett, The Fifth Elephant

Robin Vleij