[j-nsp] Full BGP table, one provider w/ 2 routers, slow forwarding convergence

Amos Rosenboim amos at oasis-tech.net
Thu Aug 14 08:41:39 EDT 2014

Hi,

What model of router are you using ?
What you are describing is a general problem of juniper routers, however it's really bad on the low-mid range routers, MX5-80, the 104 is slightly better but not very.
The stronger REs are less prone for this, although the real solution is a serious change to RPD.
Recent releases should have incremental improvements, although afaik the root cause was not corrected.

There was also another similar issue that involved full routing table and netflow.
I believe this one was corrected in one of the recent releases.

Do you really need full routing table?
Especially when both links are to the same ISP?

There is also an option to filter routes between the RIB and FIB, so you can send the full table downstream but rely on a smaller set of routes for forwarding.

Cheers,

Amos

Sent from my iPhone