[j-nsp] Full BGP table, one provider w/ 2 routers, slow forwarding convergence

Clarke Morledge chmorl at wm.edu
Thu Aug 14 10:21:13 EDT 2014

Roland Dobbins asked in response to my question here:

> Can I do what I need to do with some sort of BGP multipath load balancing, but with keeping my traffic engineering objectives intact?

Why are you going for failover instead of active/active?  With a failover
scenario, X% of your capacity is going unused . . .

Also, why multihome into the same upstream transit provider?  A higher
degree of resiliency is achieved by multihoming with multiple transit
providers.

Hi, Roland,

It is a bit involved, but both of my paths up to router A and router B for
this particular ISP are being shared with other customers.  So I am trying
to do some traffic engineering and shaping so that I do not interfere with
what the other customers are doing on these shared pipes.

As I mentioned earlier, I do have multiple providers, but I am mainly
trying to solve the forwarding problem for my main provider where I am
multi-homed to meet my traffic engineering requirements.

Clarke Morledge
College of William and Mary