[j-nsp] Full BGP table, one provider w/ 2 routers, slow forwarding convergence

Clarke Morledge chmorl at wm.edu
Thu Aug 14 10:32:03 EDT 2014

I will probably try the FIB filtering idea, but I was curious to know if
anyone has tried doing an active/passive scenario with a single provider
multihomed on two different routers in using BGP multipath for load
balancing.

I see a document that describes "Load Balancing BGP Traffic with Unequal
Bandwidth Allocated to the Paths":

http://www.juniper.net/techpubs/en_US/junos13.3/topics/topic-map/bgp-multipath-unequal.html

But in the future, I would like to be able to better control the routes I
send out to the upstream provider and not get them too involved with
tweaking stuff on their end.  Using BGP multipath, I think I can just use
something like MED to control preference for incoming traffic, but I
believe this is applied on the neighbor statement; that is, something that
I can not control via policy when involving more than one neighbor for
different routes that I am advertising.

Please correct me if I am wrong.

Does anyone have experience with this?

Clarke Morledge