[j-nsp] Full BGP table, one provider w/ 2 routers, slow forwarding convergence

Clarke Morledge chmorl at wm.edu
Thu Aug 21 15:38:32 EDT 2014

I wanted to follow-up on the list with a report of what I did to try to
resolve this issue.

I have not had the opportunity to try to play tricks with routing policy
to only populate the forwarding table with a default router while still
receiving a full Internet router table via BGP.  It is a little bit tricky
for me since I also have another ISP to worry about that complicates our
BGP design.

However, what I did try was the load balancing method across both of my
outgoing links using the "multipath" option described here:

http://www.juniper.net/techpubs/en_US/junos13.3/topics/topic-map/bgp-multipath-unequal.html

It breaks my plan to do active/passive between the two links for outgoing
traffic. I am using MED to control preference for incoming traffic, which
works well for an active/passive design for incoming traffic.

I was able to reduce the failover time in the event of a "fiber cut" type
of issue from 90 seconds down to about 10 or 20 seconds for most traffic.
However, this only works if you are receiving the exact same copy of the
Internet routing table from the upstream provider.

In my case, there is enough variation in routes coming from the upstream
provider between their two routers that I do not really get full load
balancing going on in the forwarding table.  In those cases, I am back to
about 70 to 90 seconds to complete a failover transition for outgoing
traffic.

I did upgrade to 13.3R3 to try to resolve PR963060, but I am still seeing
enough traffic loss that it makes me skeptical as to whether I have
really hit this PR, if the issue has not really been resolved, or if
something else is going on.   I still think Junos should converge faster.

Clarke Morledge
College of William and Mary