[j-nsp] SRX240 Multicast

Olivier Benghozi olivier.benghozi at wifirst.fr
Thu Aug 28 05:55:32 EDT 2014

Hi Keith,

some suggestions (from the elements you gave):

1) remove your igmp config (but not the igmp-snooping config) for vlans where you configure PIM. It's useless here. Igmp querying is automatically assumed where PIM is configured.

2) remove interface ge-0/0/8.0 from the PIM config. It's not a L3 interface.

3) Nothing here suggests neither the use of PIM SSM nor the presence of a rendez-vous point.
So, you problem is that you are trying to route multicast in PIM Sparse Mode without a Rendez-Vous Point. The protocol expects it even on a single router doing everything and I don't remember that Juniper did anything special here.

Conclusion: you must configure the SRX as a rendez-vous point. For that, the best way is usually (to me at least) to have a loopback (in the proper zone, it's an SRX) and to use the BSR (Boot Strap Router) way to distribute the RP information across the network.

But to make it work just now, I suggest you should:
- create a /32 loopback in the same zone as vlan 100, by example
- add the following config:

[edit protocols pim]
set rp local family inet address a.b.c.d  <----- the IP of the loopback

However, for a quick and dirty test, I guess you might use the IP from the layer 3 interface vlan.100, without loopback, and it might do the trick.

You didn't precise this but I also assume that the receiver is sending IGMP Joins :)

regards,
Olivier Benghozi
Wifirst